Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Playing Catch-up

As you can see, it's been a long time since I did anything with this blog, so I am going to play a game of catch-up, posting some of the projects and fiber related events that have taken place in the last year or so.

One day I got a phone call from my sister Marcy, asking if I'd like to go on a cruise to Alaska. Mom wanted to take all of her children (five of us) on a cruise with her. Of course I jumped at the chance. It took 2 days to arrange it all and 6 weeks later we were all on the ship. I wanted to have something "special" to wear so decided to weave a ruanna. No time to spin my own yarns for this project, so I bought 3 colors of Orlec, and nice shiny synthetic yarn, planned the project, measured the Orlec, warped the loom and wove 2 long pieces, just under 20" wide which I hand stiched together just short of half the length. On 12 May 2005, sitting in the back of Marcy's car on the drive to the coast, I was madly twisting fringes to finish off my ruanna, then wet finished it (washed and ironed it dry) at Anne's home in New Westminster the next morning just before we all headed off to meet Terry and Bernie then into the limo for the ride to the ship. (Given time our family Alaskan Cruise might become a blog of it's own).

No comments: