Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sunday at Lumby

Last year I just went to Lumby days on Saturday, but this year I went Saturday and again on Sunday. The Sheep-to-Shawl demo was on Saturday, and on Sunday Louise and I were the only ones there for most of the day. Souise plyed some wool she had previously spun, did a bit of sampling on the loom to use up left over warp and weft threads, and then started spinning some beautiful purple silk. Meanwhile, I spun flax. I had never spun flax before so Louise showed me some of the basics of working with this fibre. I now see why many people only spin flax on time, then never again. I doubt I will work with it again either. It is a very difficult fibre to work with... or at least the quality of flax I have, though Louise also said there is better quality flax out there too. This is shorter bits and pieces and just knots up as you try to work with it.... grrrrr.

No comments: